Prom, where we got to dress like we own the red carpet, eat lots of food, almost get into a car accident, drive through a monsoon, and dance all night!
We've all been there: you've been growing out your nails for awhile, they're a perfect length, you need them nice for prom or something, and then BAM you smash your fingers into a door, or WHACK you slam your nails on a wall, or SCRAPE all your nails are shredded. It's painful, inconvenient, and annoying. But, it's somewhat avoidable. SO here are some tips I've picked up to prevent these things from happening. Together, we will keep our fragile nails safe and strong. Let's GO!
1. Try biotin. It can be taken in capsules or you can eat high-biotin foods like avacados or sweet potatoes. Not only will they help strengthen your nails, but they also help hair growth and healthy skin.
2. Use a nail strengthening polish. I recommend Sally Hansen.
3. Vitamin E. Take capsules or rub a liquid version directly onto your nails. It helps restore moisture and strength.
4. Protien. Nails are made of the protien keratin, so eating grass fed beef, free-range poultry, fish, or plant-based protien powder will help.
5. Basically, just eat the foods that are obviously good for you. Ground flax and chia seeds have fatty acids which are great for vibrant skin and healthy nails. Nuts are also key for their calcium, providing aid in strengthening your nails.
6. Don't Pick! If your nail polish is chipping do not pick or peel it. No matter how hard it is to resist. It will weaken your nails, making it easier for them to break.
7. Remove old polish with acetone free remover; otherwise, the acetone will dry out your nails.
8. Your nails are not screwdrivers. Avoid using your nails as tools.
9. Wear gloves. Whether if you're gardening, cleaning, or washing dishes, wearing gloves will prevent your nails from being exposed to chemicals, water, and over activity.
10. Moisturize. Like your skin, nails need to be moisturized too! Use a lotion after washing your hands or removing nail polish, be sure to rub on the nails and cuticles.
11. Try buffering your nails. I don't think this helps prevent your nails from breaking, but if they've split into layers and your nail looks like it has a white scrape now then the buffer will even out the surface and make the appearance look less damaged. It also makes your nails look great in general, as if you have a clear nail polish on. My favorite is Revlon Crazy Shine, it comes in a tear drop shape.
I hope this helped guys! Let me know in the comments if it did or if you have any tips and tricks of your own to prevent nail breakage!
I'm Claire, a fashion model and blogger who's deciding to take the path less traveled. Come adventure with me!
Support the Cause
Did you know that I'm attending school at College of Southern Maryland to obtain my Associates in Communications? Did you also know that I represent Smile Brilliant, Jord Watches, and Pura Vida Bracelets as a Brand Ambassador? If you make a purchase on these websites using these specific links or use my code at checkout, you're helping fund my education! All of the money I raise from representing these brands immediately goes towards anything I need for school: books, supplies, and even the classes themselves!
Use CLAIREELLISON20 at check out for Pura Vida
Pura Vida represents an amazing cause by giving back to the planet, donating to charities, and providing jobs to artisans in other countries. If you make a purchase you're not only helping my education, but you're also donating to a much bigger cause!
Got some blog love?