So yesterday my boyfriend Brendan and I took a small trip up to DC to tour the Pentagon and explore the Botanical Gardens - photos to come soon! Both of us were running on an extreme lack of energy due to 4 hours of sleep combined between the two of us. Well, I got 4 hours of sleep, Brendan got about a 5 minute power nap because he was making this absolutely legit perfect playlist. Give it a listen:
Trumpets - Jason Derulo
Wiggle - Jason Derulo (ft. Snoop Dogg)
Talk Dirty - Jason Derulo (ft. 2 Chainz)
Fireball - Pitbull
Bailando - Enrique Iglesias
Hey Mama - David Guetta
Drunk in Love - Beyoncé
Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
Cake by the Ocean - DNCE
Downtown - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
PILLOWTALK - ZAYN
Phenomenal - Eminem
Bleeding Out - Imagine Dragons
Who Gon Stop Me - JAY Z
Ni**as in Paris - JAY Z
Dessert - Dawin
Pony - Ginuwine
Closer - Tegan and Sara
Demons - Imagine Dragons
Listen - David Guetta (ft. John Legend)
Stressed Out - Twenty One Pilots
Me, Myself, & I - G-Easy
Don't Let Me Down - Chainsmokers
Here - Alessia Cara
Powerful - Major Lazer (ft. Ellie Goulding)
Cups - Pitch Perfect
My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark - Fall Out Boy
Midnight City - M83
See You Again - Wiz Khalifa
So after being convinced by my sister, I took the plunge and got myself a gym membership... I was skeptical, and knew for myself that I have to keep up with going to the gym, otherwise it's just a waste of money. But so far I've been actively using my membership daily for a month and I thought I should share a couple things I've learned for those gym shy people like myself.
1. It's really no big deal. You're all at the gym for a reason. Whether if you're a beginner or a body builder, you're at the gym to work. So do it at your own pace and your own strength. Don't be afraid or embarrassed. I was in a step class this morning and senior citizens were doing better than me. But yesterday I was in pilates and keeping up with the instructor. I'm just good at core work and lack in cardio endurance, oh well.
2. Find your place. Being comfortable at the gym is the hardest thing ever in the beginning. I personally love going to the classes and that's all I go to the gym for. You bypass the crazy athletic people using random contraptions that you don't understand and go straight back to your little studio room like a pro.
3. It's okay to not know. There's some things you simply gotta learn. Like how spin classes work. There's a whole system of signing up and claiming a bike-I haven't figured it out yet but am going to have to tomorrow because that's the only class I can make.
4. Reward yourself. Point blank, the gym is hard. Getting the motivation to go, completing the workout, and keeping that perseverance to keep going back even though your entire body is screaming no and holding on to the door frame as you drag yourself out of the house. So make going to the gym enjoyable. Treat yourself to a relaxing yoga class after a hard Monday at work, take advantage of the sauna, buy yourself your own pretty yoga mat, upgrade to some new clothes from Lululemon. If you invest in a pair of really nice $90 leggings, you're going to need to put them to use without feeling guilty.
5. Know your limits. If you do find yourself absolutely loving the gym, you have to know your limits. Allow yourself to be a beginner and give yourself a rest day. It's important to give those tired muscles some down time: a relaxing bath, a nap, some baby stretches before bed. If you overwork yourself then you'll most likely injure something or not be able to keep up in the long run.
6. Create an incentive. Sometimes going to the gym can just feel annoying, like, why am I doing this again? OH right ___! Set a goal or make a reward system. For example, to lose at least one pound in 2 weeks, to work more diligently on an area like abs, or after completely said goal, give yourself that reward we talked about. Without a reason to work, you're not going to want to work. My goal is to have satisfactory abs by summer and reward myself with a certain bathing suit I've been eying for a while from Victoria's Secret. (If they ever restock it again!)
If you're gym shy or haven't gone before, I hope this post encourages you! I've really been enjoying the classes and results from them.
Bonus: Most gyms give a great discount to college students! So don't make excuses!
Black Zip-Up: New Constitution | Jean Jacket: Levis | Green Scarf: Pacsun
These photos are from when it previously snowed but seeing as it's snowing AGAIN it seemed fitting to finally post these. Trust me, I love snow-it's beautiful, fun, a good excuse to stay inside, be lazy, and drink hot chocolate.. But this late in the game? I'm ready for some warmer weather. My tank tops, shorts, and sandals are practically screaming my name, begging to be worn to the beach.
What are some things you love to do when the weather finally is a little warm? I personally love to walk the local trails and go to parks in my county and have a picnic!
I'm Claire, a fashion model and blogger who's deciding to take the path less traveled. Come adventure with me!
Support the Cause
Did you know that I'm attending school at College of Southern Maryland to obtain my Associates in Communications? Did you also know that I represent Smile Brilliant, Jord Watches, and Pura Vida Bracelets as a Brand Ambassador? If you make a purchase on these websites using these specific links or use my code at checkout, you're helping fund my education! All of the money I raise from representing these brands immediately goes towards anything I need for school: books, supplies, and even the classes themselves!
Use CLAIREELLISON20 at check out for Pura Vida
Pura Vida represents an amazing cause by giving back to the planet, donating to charities, and providing jobs to artisans in other countries. If you make a purchase you're not only helping my education, but you're also donating to a much bigger cause!
Got some blog love?